CIMSPA exercise and fitness membership options
If you are joining as an exercise fitness professional from one of these organisations, please click the relevant blue link.
Introducing CIMSPA’s exercise and fitness career stream
The Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity is widening its membership choices to provide options for the whole sport, leisure, fitness and physical activity sector. We’re starting by launching two new membership categories aimed specifically at exercise and fitness professionals.
CIMSPA affiliate (exercise and fitness)
Open to anyone holding a recognised level 2 qualification, acquired within the past 5 years – equivalent to REPs level 2. Just £30 per year (inc VAT).
CIMSPA practitioner (exercise and fitness)
Open to anyone holding a recognised level 3 or above qualification, acquired within the past 5 years – equivalent to REPs level 3. Just £30 per year (inc VAT).
These new membership options are backed by leading sector employers and the government – they have been specifically developed as the first steps of a full career development pathway for exercise and fitness professionals, including a route to chartered membership. (under development).
Download a PDF information leaflet at the link below:
Your membership benefits will include:
- Your entry in the CIMSPA exercise and fitness directory – a statement to employers and the public that your qualification level has been validated by the sector’s only chartered professional body.
- Recognition and status – you are a member of a chartered institute.
- Record of professional development – we’re developing a personal “MyPage” online system to record your personal development.
- Your copy of S&PA Professional, the quarterly CIMSPA magazine, and access to our online archive.
- Regular CIMSPA member bulletin – a carefully curated selection of sector reports, guidance, useful resources and news, plus S&PA Extra – our magazine’s digital newsletter.
- Access to the latest sector job vacancy information.
- Networking - you will be part of the UK’s network of sport and physical activity professionals.
- Discounted access to selected CIMSPA nations and regions events.
Apply now to become a CIMSPA affiliate or practitioner (exercise and fitness)
Your questions answered
What are the CIMSPA exercise and fitness membership categories?
These are the new alternative to REPs membership, and they’ve been created in response to demand from the sector. Employers have been frustrated by the variable quality of REPs-accredited professionals, and have asked CIMSPA to create a new directory system that can guarantee the quality of its members by ensuring they hold recognised qualifications delivered by CIMSPA-endorsed training providers.
Who is it for?
Our exercise and fitness membership choices are open to those with a level 2, or above qualification. After a transitional period, eligible qualifications must be awarded/delivered by a CIMSPA-endorsed awarding organisation/training provider.
- Those with a recognised level 2 qualification, acquired within the past 5 years, qualify for the CIMSPA affiliate (exercise and fitness) category.
- Those with a recognised level 3 or above qualification, acquired within the past 5 years, qualify for the CIMSPA practitioner (exercise and fitness) category.
My qualification is over 5 years old. Can I still join?
Yes! For qualifications over 5 years old, applicants will have to demonstrate that they have maintained their competency through CPD, which many exercise and fitness professionals do as a matter of course.
What about CPD?
All members are now required to undertake 10 points of CPD per membership year. Visit www.cimspa.co.uk/cpd to find out more.
Why should I join CIMSPA instead of REPs?
Employers are moving away from REPs and choosing CIMSPA affiliate and practitioner membership instead – many employers have made it clear that they will look for CIMSPA membership when employing newly qualified professionals. This will be a gradual process that will happen over time as CIMSPA and employers work together to raise standards, so there’s no need to panic, but this does needs to be “on your radar”.
What about public liability insurance?
CIMSPA members can now access Instructor Public and Teacher Liability £10m insurance through FitPro. CIMSPA and FitPro have teamed up to offer CIMSPA members a comprehensive range of insurance products underwritten by AVIVA. Plans start from just £55 (including insurance Premium Tax). This insurance scheme has been specifically designed for fitness industry professionals, to cater for the needs of CIMSPA members who require a flexible insurance. To find out more, visit www.cimspa.co.uk/insurance
What’s the bigger picture?
In December 2015 the government launched its “sporting future” strategy for a healthier, more active nation. The strategy gave clear backing for CIMSPA’s work, and tasked government departments and agencies, including DCMS and Sport England, to work with CIMSPA to deliver a fully professional sport, fitness and activity workforce.
The CIMSPA affiliate and practitioner membership options for exercise and fitness professionals are amongst our first steps towards this goal.
Over time, we will build an exercise and fitness stream pathway from affiliate member to chartered practitioner level, as we already have in place for our leisure operations career “stream” (see diagram).
CIMSPA is also developing career streams for physical activity, performance and sport administration, and community sport.