Personal Trainer Practitioners coach clients towards their health and fitness goals through the planning and delivery of creative, bespoke exercise programmes and instruction, whilst also providing nutritional and overall lifestyle management advice.
You analyse your client’s needs in order to adapt and modify guidance to positively impact and improve your client’s behaviour and overall wellbeing by providing specialist, tailored advice within your scope of practice.
You are aware of when to refer your clients to relevant appropriate professionals for specialist information and guidance (e.g. physiotherapist, registered dietician, medical specialist).
You have a comprehensive understanding of business, finance, sales and marketing to enable you to build and retain a stable client base.
You are employed by a fitness or leisure centre, or can be self-employed.
- You hold a Personal Trainer occupational qualification certificate issued by a recognised awarding organisation dated within the last 5 years.
- If your qualification is older than 5 years, evidence of CPD completed within the last 5 years is required.
- For overseas qualifications - your letter of portability (see FAQs below).
Apply for your membership
Step 1 – prepare your evidence, apply and pay
Evidence of qualification and CPD documentation in PDF, JPEG or PNG format.
Debit Card, Credit Card or Direct Debit payment options are available.
Step 2 – We will process your application
- You will receive email updates as we review your application.
- We will let you know if we require any further information from you.
- You will receive an email confirming that your Membership has been approved.
Take complete control of your career progression and stay at the forefront of our sector
- Recognition and status as a member of the sector’s only chartered professional body.
- Exclusive member logos to showcase your professional status
- Enhance your career prospects - many of our employer partners commit to only employing CIMSPA members.
- Access FREE endorsed CPD eLearning with the CIMSPA Academy.
- Eligible practitioner categories get free access to the UK Coaching Club platform, with exclusive resources.
- Discounts on endorsed qualifications and CPD from a range of training providers.
- Sector job opportunity information from our jobs board and partner network.
Highlight – Access to the UK Coaching Club platform
As part of your membership UK Coaching provides you with access to its learning and development platform, which includes:
- Access to all UK Coaching’s most valuable tips, guidance, videos and webinars.
- Free or discounted learning, many attracting CIMSPA CPD points.
- Membership to a new collaborative group for exercise and fitness professionals in their online community ConnectedCoaches.
Highlight – CIMSPA Academy
- Your CIMSPA membership includes FREE access to hundreds of online CPD courses with the CIMSPA Academy.
- The CPD on offer ranges from “bite-sized” quick eBriefings to certificate courses that award multiple CIMSPA CPD points.
Build your professional network through CIMSPA’s community of members, partners and events
- Shareable profile on the CIMSPA membership directory – the definitive listing of qualified sector professionals – connecting you with potential employers and customers.
- Receive digital access to S&PA Professional, S&PA Extra and the CIMSPA member bulletin – our quarterly magazine and monthly digital newsletters.
- Access to member-only webinars featuring cross-sector experts.
- Make connections through CIMSPA and partner events and conferences, and at our professional development boards and consultations (by invitation).
Benefit from a range of discounts and offers across key categories identified by members and provided by our partners*
Work and business (practitioner)
- Apex 1 - 1 year free hosting
- Fitness Workspace - 20% discount
- GymCatch - 20% off first 12 paid months
- BigWave Growth - Free “Insight 360” call
- Hapori - Benefits bundle including 36 email templates
- Harbiz - 3-months free access
- My PT Hub - 50% off first 3 months of My PT Hub Premium
- TeamUp - Extended 45 day trial
- Thinklab - 10% discount
- WSHQ: Workout Music - 15% off
- Your Business Number - 50% discount
- Fitness Marketing Agency - Discounted access
- Future Fit - Free CPD course with a qualifying purchase
- Bloomsbury Publishing - 35% discount on Sports literature
- Brookbush Institute - 30-day free trial
- BTN Academy - £150 off Foundation Academy
- Drummond Education - £30 off a course or workshop under £400 / £50 off course or workshop £401-1000 / £100 off a course or workshop £1001 upwards
- Les Mills - Les Mills+ free trial and 25% discount / 30% Initial Training discount
- Platinum Training Institute - 10% off
- GymPass - Free application to be a Certified Online Trainer
- Yoga2hear - 20% discount
- Biomechanics Education - Free CPD (up to £100+VAT)
Finance and legal (practitioner)
- Financial Fitness Group - 10% discount
- Future Fit - 30-day free Prozone trial
- BSA4Sport - Free access
- Financial Fitness Group - Monthly phone call
- Dell Technologies - Up to 20% off
- Elevated Food for Life - 50% off monthly subscription & 50% off for clients
- MyZone - £75 off an MZ Switch Myzone belt
- MyZone - £80 off an MZ3 heart rate monitor
- Tanita - 15% discount
- TRX Training - 30 days free access to TRX Core/TRX Training Club / TRX PRO4 Suspension Trainer for £100 / TRX HOME 2 Suspension Trainer for £100 / 15% discount sitewide
*Terms and conditions apply for all offers.
Contribute to the continued improvement of the sport and physical activity sector
- Be at the forefront of the sector with the very latest news, guidance and resources.
- Be the first to hear about opportunities to be involved with CIMSPA consultations and insight, helping to influence sector policy and future research.
- Take part in focus groups and committees to help shape the sector’s future.
- How do I identify a certificate which has been issued by an awarding organisation?
- I hold an overseas qualification that is not recognised by CIMSPA, can I still apply for Practitioner or Associate membership?
- I have completed an endorsed qualification with an education provider, how can I use this to apply for practitioner membership?
- I hold a UK qualification that is not recognised by CIMSPA, can I still apply for Practitioner membership?
- What are the CPD requirements for membership entry?
- What will happen if my application for entry into the Practitioner or Associate membership category does not meet the requirements?
- I work for a CIMSPA Employer Partner, how do I claim my discounted membership?
Awarding organisation certificates display some or all of the following:
- Awarding organisation’s logo e.g. Active IQ, YMCA Awards, Innovate Awarding, Focus Awards, VTCT
- Award title e.g. Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Fitness Instructing and Personal Training
- Qualification Accreditation Number (QAN) e.g. 600/4941/8
- Date of issue
- Certificate number
- ’Ofqual’ logo
Please note: A Unit Credit certificate, letter of confirmation or certificate issued by a Training Provider are not accepted to ensure a standardised and robust application process.
We have an agreement with and can accept a Letter of Portability during your membership application from the following organisations, providing it is transferrable to your chosen CIMSPA membership category:
If your qualification was completed in a country outside the above organisations’ jurisdiction, please email email@example.com with a copy of your letter of portability or qualification, confirming the country of issue, for further support.
If you have successfully met the professional standard following completion of your CIMSPA endorsed course for your chosen practitioner category, your professional qualification certificate issued by CIMSPA and awarded by your education provider will clearly confirm this and should be submitted with your application.
If your qualifications have not been mapped to the industry professional standards, they may be submitted for the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process. For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If your CIMSPA recognised entry qualification is dated over 5 years from the date of your application, you will be required to evidence:
- At least 1 CPD point of endorsed
- Or 4 hours of non-endorsed CPD.
Your membership will be approved within the affiliate membership category to bring you onboard as a CIMSPA member. We will email you with guidance to support you with your next steps towards becoming a practitioner or associate member.
Your account will be required to be linked your employer’s organisational account to issue your membership at the discounted price. If your account is not currently linked, we will require some information from you. Please email us on email@example.com